you learn portion control.
The technology and design of the Orbera® balloon helps patients lose up to 3.1x2 the weight of diet and exercise alone. It is placed temporarily in your stomach for six months and can help patients lose 48% more3 than other FDA-approved gastric balloons.
With Orbera®, you learn portion control.
The technology and design of the Orbera® balloon helps patients lose up to 3.1x2 the weight of diet and exercise alone. Temporarily in your stomach for six months, Orbera helps patients lose 48% more3 than other gastric balloons.
The gastric balloon is inserted orally through your esophagus and placed directly into your stomach during a quick, non-surgical procedure. There is no need for any incisions, stitches or scars.
After the first six months of the weight loss program the stomach balloon is carefully removed and the aftercare program continues.
Orbera® is more than a balloon.
It's a year-long program for helping you lose weight by changing your habits.
Placing the Balloon
Changing Your Habits
Removing the Balloon
Continued Support and Coaching
Placing the balloon
The entire non-surgical, outpatient procedure takes about 20 minutes.
First, a diagnostic endoscopy is done to ensure that it is safe to perform the procedure. Once you are mildly sedated and comfortable, the procedure can begin.
The deflated gastric balloon is inserted through the esophagus and into your stomach. A syringe is then used to fill the balloon, with a sterile saline solution, to about the size of a grapefruit.
Changing your habits
For the next six months the Orbera® balloon is inside your stomach, reducing the amount you can eat, and re-training your brain to better anticipate when your stomach is getting full.
It’s during this time that open and constant communication with your support team is crucial to maximizing the benefits of Orbera®. This means regular face-to-face sessions with your treatment team, dietician, fitness trainer, psychologist and doctor.
During these first six months, with the stomach balloon and support team working in tandem, patients see the most drastic results - Losing 20 to 50 pounds (sometimes even more).
Removing the balloon
After you’ve had six months to change the way you eat and work with the support team to improve your nutrition, the balloon is removed. The simple and non-surgical procedure is very similar to the placement process, only taking 20 minutes.
Continued support & coaching
For the remaining six months of the program, you’ll continue working closely with your Specialist to follow a personalized diet and exercise program.
At an additional cost, you can access Orbera® Coach, a tool that gives you convenient access to a virtual support team of nutritionists and dietitians via your phone or tablet.
Watch a Specialist explain how Orbera® works
Important Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System Safety Information:
- The Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System is a weight loss aid for adults suffering from obesity, with a body mass index (BMI) ≥30 and ≤40 kg/m2, who have tried other weight loss programs, such as following supervised diet, exercise, and behavior modification programs, but who were unable to lose weight and keep it off.
- To receive Orbera® you must be willing to also follow a 12-month program, beginning with the placement of Orbera® and continuing for 6 months after, that includes a healthy diet and exercise plan. If the diet and exercise program is not followed, you will not experience significant weight loss results; in fact, you may not experience any weight loss.
- Losing weight and keeping it off is not easy, so you will be supervised throughout this program by a team of physicians, physiologists, and nutritionists. This team will help you make and maintain major changes in your eating and exercise habits.
- Orbera® is placed for no more than six months. Any time that the balloon is in the stomach for longer than six months puts you at risk for complications, such as bowel obstruction, which can be fatal.
- Some patients are ineligible to receive Orbera®. Your doctor will ask you about your medical history and will also perform a physical examination to determine your eligibility for the device. Additionally, at the time of placement, the doctor may identify internal factors, such as stomach irritation or ulcers, which may prevent you from receiving Orbera®.
- You must not receive Orbera® if you are pregnant, a woman planning to become pregnant within six months’ time, or breast-feeding.
- Complications that may result from the use of Orbera® include the risks associated with any endoscopic procedure and those associated with the medications and methods used in this procedure, as well as your ability to tolerate a foreign object placed in your stomach. Possible complications include: partial or complete blockage of the bowel by the balloon, insufficient or no weight loss, adverse health consequences resulting from weight loss, stomach discomfort, continuing nausea and vomiting, abdominal or back pain, acid reflux, influence on digestion of food, blockage of food entering the stomach, bacterial growth in the fluid filling the balloon which can lead to infection, injury to the lining of the digestive tract, stomach or esophagus, and balloon deflation.
- Important: For full safety information please visit Orbera.com/dfu, talk with your doctor, or call Apollo Customer Support at 855-700-0780.
CAUTION: Rx only.
Reference information on file: MKT-01290-00R01
* Results are from individual customer testimonials and your results may vary.
** Available at participating practices, terms and conditions apply
- Directions For Use (DFU). Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System (Orbera®). Austin, TX: Apollo Endosurgery, Inc.
- Orbera® US FDA Pivotal Study.
- Orbera® US FDA Pivotal Study & Obalon US FDA Pivotal Study.