you learn portion control.
The technology and design of the Orbera® balloon helps patients lose up to 3.1x2 the weight of diet and exercise alone. It is placed temporarily in your stomach for six months and can help patients lose 48% more3 than other FDA-approved gastric balloons.
With Orbera®, you learn portion control.
The technology and design of the Orbera® balloon helps patients lose up to 3.1x2 the weight of diet and exercise alone. Temporarily in your stomach for six months, Orbera helps patients lose 48% more3 than other gastric balloons.
The gastric balloon is inserted orally through your esophagus and placed directly into your stomach during a quick, non-surgical procedure. There is no need for any incisions, stitches or scars.
After the first six months of the weight loss program the stomach balloon is carefully removed and the aftercare program continues.
Orbera® is more than a balloon.
It's a year-long program for helping you lose weight by changing your habits.
Placing the Balloon
Changing Your Habits
Removing the Balloon
Continued Support and Coaching
Placing the balloon
The entire non-surgical, outpatient procedure takes about 20 minutes.
First, a diagnostic endoscopy is done to ensure that it is safe to perform the procedure. Once you are mildly sedated and comfortable, the procedure can begin.
The deflated gastric balloon is inserted through the esophagus and into your stomach. A syringe is then used to fill the balloon, with a sterile saline solution, to about the size of a grapefruit.
Changing your habits
For the next six months the Orbera® balloon is inside your stomach, reducing the amount you can eat, and re-training your brain to better anticipate when your stomach is getting full.
It’s during this time that open and constant communication with your support team is crucial to maximizing the benefits of Orbera®. This means regular face-to-face sessions with your treatment team, nutritional coach, fitness trainer, psychologist or doctor.
During these first six months, with the stomach balloon and support team working in tandem, patients see the most drastic results - Losing 20 to 50 pounds (sometimes even more).
Removing the balloon
After you’ve had six months to change the way you eat and work with the support team to improve your nutrition, the balloon is removed. The simple and non-surgical procedure is very similar to the placement process, only taking 20 minutes.
Continued support & coaching
For the remaining six months of the program, you’ll continue working closely with your care team to follow a personalized diet and exercise program.
Talk to your care team about resources and virtual tools available to assist you throughout your journey.
Watch a Specialist explain how Orbera® works
Important Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System Safety Information:
- The Orbera® Intragastric Balloon is made to help you lose weight. From the time that your balloon is placed and for six months after it is removed, you need to follow a healthy diet and exercise program to lose weight. You may not lose weight if you do not follow the program. Your doctor’s clinical team, including dieticians, nutritionists and/or exercise trainers, should help you on your weight loss journey.
- The Orbera® Intragastric Balloon is for adults who are suffering from obesity and have not been able to lose weight and keep it off. To receive an ORBERA balloon, you must be willing to follow a 12-month program. The program begins with the use of the balloon and a healthy diet and exercise program for 6 months. That is followed by 6 more months of a healthy diet and exercise program without the balloon in your stomach.
- Your doctor will ask you about your medical history and will also perform a physical examination to determine your eligibility for the device. Additionally, at the time of placement, the doctor may identify internal factors, such as stomach irritation or ulcers, which may prevent you from receiving Orbera®
- You must not receive Orbera® if you are pregnant, a woman planning to become pregnant within six months’ time, or breast-feeding.
- You must maintain regular contact with your doctor while the balloon is in your stomach. Nausea and vomiting are common when the balloon is placed. Patients typically adjust to the balloon in the first few weeks, then these symptoms improve. If you adjust to the balloon, but then you begin to feel significant stomach pain, contact your doctor immediately as this may be signs of a significant problem with your stomach and could lead to death..
- Do not use Orbera® for more than 6 months. Prolonged balloon placement may increase the risk of the balloon deflating. A deflated balloon can cause the bowels to block, requiring surgery. While it has not yet been reported, it is possible for an unaddressed blockage to cause death.
- Call your doctor if you have any concerns about your health or well-being at any time during the 6 month placement of the balloon.
- For full safety information please visit Orbera.com/isi, talk with your doctor, or call Apollo Customer Support at 855-700-0780.
CAUTION: Rx only.
Reference information on file: MKT-01290-00R01
* Results are from individual customer testimonials and your results may vary.
** Apollo Care coaches are Texas-based Registered Dieticians.
*** Available at participating practices, terms and conditions apply.
- Directions For Use (DFU). Orbera® Intragastric Balloon System (Orbera®). Austin, TX: Apollo Endosurgery, Inc.
- Orbera® US FDA Pivotal Study.
- Orbera® US FDA Pivotal Study & Obalon US FDA Pivotal Study.