Your questions, answered.
You may have some more questions about ORBERA365™. Here are the top questions asked, and the answers you need to make your decision.
About the ORBERA365™ Managed Weight Loss System.
- +/-How much weight can I lose with ORBERA365™ balloon?
- It is important for you to understand that the balloon is a tool to aid weight loss and must be used in conjunction with diet, exercise, and a behavior modification program. The amount of weight you lose and maintain will depend on how closely you follow your diet and adopt long-term lifestyle changes. The ORBERA® clinical study has shown that weight loss varies from person to person. On average, patients lost 3.1x the weight of those that were on a diet and exercise program alone. In the US clinical study patients lost an average of 15 kgs.*
- +/-What happens if the ORBERA365™ balloon leaks or deflates in the stomach?
- ORBERA® has been used in over 277,000 cases and reviewed in over 230 published global clinical papers, and a balloon deflation or leak is a very rare event. However, if the balloon should spontaneously deflate, you may no longer feel full after eating. If you suspect this may be the case, notify your Specialist immediately. A simple abdominal x-ray can determine whether either has occurred. If it has, your Specialist will arrange to remove the deflated balloon.
- +/-Will I gain the weight back after removing the ORBERA365™ balloon?
- Published clinical studies of ORBERA® have shown that, provided you keep to the prescribed diet and exercise regime, you will maintain weight loss through dieting post-removal. So, if you stick to your new, healthy lifestyle you will be well on the way to maintaining your weight loss.
What is a gastric balloon?
- +/-What is a gastric balloon?
- A gastric balloon is a non-surgical and short-term (temporary) weight loss device. A smooth, soft saline-filled balloon (about the size of an grapefruit) is placed in your stomach, allowing you to control your portion sizes by filling space in your stomach. By following professional health and wellness advice, you can adopt good healthy eating habits and change your lifestyle so you can lose weight quickly and keep it off long term.
- +/-Are gastric balloons safe?
- Gastric balloons have been used in the management of obesity for over 20 years. Over this time they have evolved in shape, size, and design resulting in a modern, durable product, which is now well established as a safe weight loss procedure. Over 277,000 ORBERA® balloons have been placed worldwide.
- +/-How do gastric balloons help people lose weight?
- Once in place, the gastric balloon is filled with saline to partially fill the stomach so that they may consume smaller portions of food. Most weight is lost in the first three months, but because the gastric balloon stays in for up to twelve months, you will learn the right amount of food to eat to maintain your new weight long term.
- +/-What are the possible side effects associated with the gastric balloon?
- It is very likely that the presence of the balloon in the stomach will cause nausea or vomiting after placement. In some patients it may last one to two weeks. Your HCP may prescribe medication to help minimize these potential effects. Patients will need to immediately contact their physician for any severe or unusual symptoms.
What else should I know?
- +/-What is body mass index (BMI)?
- The most widely used measurement for obesity. The BMI approximates body mass using a mathematical ratio of weight and height [(weight in kg ÷ height in meters) or (weight in pounds ÷ height in inches x 703)]. A BMI of 30 or more is regarded by most health agencies as the threshold for obesity. A BMI of 40 or more generally qualifies as morbid obesity. However, note that BMI measurements in body-builders and athletes may not be accurate determinants of obesity because the BMI does not distinguish between muscle and fat.
Find a specialist near you to gain the weight loss edge you have been missing
We only select the most qualified specialists to perform the ORBERA365™ weight loss balloon procedure. One might be in your area!
FIND A SPECIALIST